One Egg Shy

The musings of Chris. Writer, humanitarian, hero.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

They call him the working man

My brother, who once found a pubic hair in a chicken sandwich at Friendly’s, would probably be upset if he knew that I went there for dinner last night. I had a restricted amount of time between work and class, however: too much time for a quick bite at a convenience store or fast food place, and not enough for someplace a little ritzier. Oh, and did I mention I’m poor?

Anyway, that’s not the point of this story. The point of the story is while I was sitting and chatting with my dinner companion, I saw capitalism at work in the form of a job interview. A young man, probably 17 or 18, came in to interview for a position. I was too far away to be able to hear the discussion that followed, but I was able to immediately judge that he wouldn’t get the job.

Now, those who know me would agree that I’m not exactly Mr. Corporate America (that would make a kick-ass pageant, by the way). I’ve never held an office job or anything requiring a dress code more complicated than a pair of slacks and an oxford shirt. So perhaps I’m not the best to comment on this, but I get the feeling that a Chicago Bulls t-shirt and a pair of ratty jeans are not the best job interview attire.

Am I wrong? Am I naïve? Does interviewing for a job at Friendly’s not entail looking professional? It’s hardly Applebees, to be sure, but it’s still a place of business, right? So what if, when ordering the chicken sandwich, you have to ask your waiter or waitress to “hold the pubes.” So what if their idea of artwork is an Ansel Adams knockoff of a cactus? I still think, and maybe I’m old fashioned, that interviewing for a job, ANY job, requires at least some attempt at looking like a put-together adult on the part of the interviewee.

On the other hand, maybe that’s what has kept me from getting hired at any of the 20 restaurants where I’ve applied over the past 5 years for a job. Maybe I need to find my Phoenix Suns sweatshirt with the hole over the left nipple and jeans that cut off the circulation to my scrotum for my next job interview.

The saddest part is, I can already write the conclusion to these musings: the next time I eat there, I’m sure to find the pubic hair of the Bulls t-shirt kid floating in my milkshake. How will I know it’s his? Because fate is a cruel bitch.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Rachel Green said…

    Oh my friend you don't see the genius of his approach. Sure he could go the "traditional" way of dressing up. Instead he wanted to show them how much he needed that job. Kudos young man! Kudos!

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Anonymous John said…

    he's just gonna be in the back washing dishes. the interview process was just to make sure he wasnt retarded.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Angela in Europe said…

    Nope, he is going to be the one interviewing you when you apply for your next job. No, I'm sorry, that's my luck I am thinking of.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Moment said…

    lol...You're right, you do need to look alittle professional, but hey, you're talking about young kids. They could care less about how they look, let alone pubes in your milkshake.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home