One Egg Shy

The musings of Chris. Writer, humanitarian, hero.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

What a difference a day makes

So yesterday I was bumming. Valentine’s Day, dirty snow, the cold, it was all getting me down. I passed this couple while I was walking to work. The guy was skinny, geeky and carrying the case of some instrument. The girl was wearing a snow cap and had black, curly hair framing a cute face. They were young and in love and holding gloves. I say gloves because it was too cold for exposed skin, so they literally had their mittens just touching, since, as we all know, it’s hard to link fingers when the mittens make your hand pretty much one GIANT finger. So I saw this couple and thought to myself, in typical curmudgeon fashion, “God, how lame are they? They can’t even store away their affection for one goddamned minute?”

I got a few valentine offers from friends, which made me feel even worse. I appreciated the gesture, but the “Aww…you don’t have a valentine? I’ll be yours!” really just made me feel worse, not better, although I did appreciate the offers. As I predicted, I fell asleep by myself, unsaved by a Valentine’s miracle.

But.

But I woke up this morning with an IM from a friend telling me that a friend of a friend had linked to one of my articles on her myspace account. She seemed to like it, which was cool.

I also got an e-mail letting me know that this short play I wrote is going to be performed next month. It’s going to be at a high school but still, it’ll be neat.

The sun was shining when I walked outside. The snow was melting, running in small streams along the curb. I went to breakfast with my friend. On my way into work, I passed a couple. The guy was skinny, geeky and carrying the case of some instrument. The girl was wearing a snow cap and had black, curly hair framing a cute face. They were young and in love and holding hands. It was too warm for mittens today. I smiled to myself, happy for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home