One Egg Shy

The musings of Chris. Writer, humanitarian, hero.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

My first piece of hate mail


Today was a momentous day. I received my first piece of hate mail in response to my latest collegehumor piece. A guy left the following comment on my blog, in reply to the part from my piece that read:

"If possible, find a job that applies to your major. I work in a writing center because I am a writing major and know the difference between 'your' (belonging to you), 'you're' (the contraction for 'you are'), 'ore' (a mineral from which a metal can be extracted) and 'O.A.R.' (a shitty band that only chicks and pussies like)."

The comment, by "Harryeballlls", read:
"You're a dick for saying 'only girls and pussies' like O.A.R. You're a writer of bullshit collumns on some bullshit website. Don't make crude opinionated statements liks that when your opinion is held in no regard whatsoever."

God, I kind of want to frame that comment like a business owner would frame the first dollar bill he's ever made.

I'm not going to attack Harryeballlls. That would be unfair. I'm glad that he is passionate about a band. There are plenty of bands I like that are considered lame by others. I have six tracks by ABBA on my iTunes, including "Dancing Queen." Not that I'd passionately defend them, but I will occassionally listen to one of their tracks and spin slowly in my room like a princess.

All I'm going to say, in my defense, is that if collegehumor is not a place to make crude opinionated statements, then what is? I'm bound to offend some people with what I write, and I'm okay with that. You can't make everyone happy all the time.

So thank you, Harryeballlls, for your opinion and for reading.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Carly said…

    Harryeballlls, eh? Do you think that's true? If so, hook a sister up, Chris.

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    Chris... More power to you as you go through college.. :-) I like your writing style.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home